Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Those proud moments (and a recipe for Pad See Yiew)

I'm not sure if I've come out and said it before, but our 3 year old is a pretty dud eater - he's fussy, unwilling to try new things and most dinners are a bit of a battle ("I don't need dinner, I'll just have a snack, I'm not hungry").  That said, through a series of well-practised tactics we can generally get him to eat almost anything, it just takes quite a lot of patience and occasional bribery, i.e. if you eat all your brocolli we can watch the rest of Lego Star Wars.

Knowing that this is the situation, I felt quietly smug when Leo's kinder teacher asked him what his favourite dinner is the other day and he said "Tofu, I love tofu".  What a hipster kid!  I think this comment stemmed from the following recipe which I adapted from Bill Grainger. 

Eleanor's Pad See Yiew

Ingredients
200 grams dried rice stick noodles
1 head brocolli, chopped into small florets
200 grams marinated tofu, chopped into cubes
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 eggs, lightly beaten
60 mls light soy sauce
2 tablespoons caster sugar

Recipe
Cook the rice noodles according to packet instructions boild for around 8 and throw the brocolli in for the last two minutes of cooking time.  Drain noodles and brocolli.

Heat oil in a wok over high heat, add garlic and stirfry for about 1 minute until fragrant and softened.  Add soy sauce and sugar and cook until bubbling and starting to reduce.  Add tofu, brocolli and noodles and stirfry for a further 2 minutes until all are coated in the sauce.  Make a hole in the middle and tip in the eggs.  Stirfry until egg is cooked.  Serves 2-3

No comments:

Post a Comment